Well said, Frank!

Bruce

ft> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:13:31 -0400, Caveman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> It is most evident now that you post these pics here with the purpose of
>> starting social/political debates and not artistical/technical ones
>> related to photography. May I suggest some other controversial subjects
>> like guns/abortion/religion. This would help make the list perfectly
>> unreadable.

ft> Whatever you think of Shel's photo, that's all it is:  a photo.

ft> He's observing the world around him, recording some of those
ft> observations on film, and posting them.  I do that too.  We all do
ft> that.

ft> Some try to find beauty in posed portraits, beauty in nature, beauty
ft> in glamour, automobiles, advertising copy.  And, that's just fine with
ft> me.  That's an entirely proper use of a camera.

ft> Others use their camera to photograph everything, the good with the
ft> bad.  The ugly with the beautiful.  The rich and the poor.

ft> I don't understand why it is that Shel is accused of starting debates,
ft> or having political motives, or of having an agenda.   Why is it that
ft> no one yelled at him for shamelessly promoting Cello Players when he
ft> posted the "portrait" of his friend (can't remember her name right
ft> now)?  Why did no one yell at him when he posted the wonderful series
ft> of shots of the neighbourhood children of 35 years ago?  When he
ft> showed the photos of Mexico?  Of the "mechanic" who put his car on
ft> stilts?  The red chair?  The little boy running on the beach?

ft> All he pointed out in his little intro is that some in society don't
ft> have the comforts that all of us on this list are able to enjoy, but
ft> that despite being less fortunate (for whatever reason), this lady
ft> seems to be able to find some small joy out of her meal.  Is that
ft> political commentary?  Is that social commentary?

ft> At worst, he can be accused of humanizing this person, of giving a
ft> face to the homeless.  Is that a bad thing?  Is that so radical?  Is
ft> that so worthy of condemnation?

ft> If he puts a caveat on his post, saying that if one doesn't like
ft> looking at his "homeless" photos one shouldn't open the photo, then
ft> who's to blame if one opens it and is offended?

ft> People, it's a photograph.  The commentary is that of the observer,
ft> not Shel.  It's as controversial as a photo of a beautiful beach, a
ft> sunset, a caterpillar, a flower, the moon, a car, or a sporting event.

ft> I'd suggest that the controversy rests with the observer(s), in this case.

ft> -frank