On 21/10/05, Glen, discombobulated, unleashed:

>Okay, this is starting to confuse me slightly. What is so "digital" about
>the essence of this image?

The fact that it was manipulated to achieve the mono/colour effect.

>This could have actually been shot on film for
>all I know. (That is, if Shel hadn't told us otherwise.)

True. It's still a style that I consider passe.

>I like the composition. I like the colors. I don't find any fault with this
>image at all.

Fine.

>Are you sure that you aren't engaging in just a wee bit of anti-digital
>snobbery, especially since Shel mentioned the use of Photoshop?

Me - - anti-digital snob??  LOL

>I've
>noticed that some people on this list seem to cringe at the mention of that
>program. Many of these same people probably admire the works of famous
>photographers who made their own meticulously prepared B&W prints.

I use PS constantly. I also admire many other photogs, including those
mentioned above.

>If one
>understands the amount of manipulation that often went into much of the
>traditional classic B&W printing, how could they look down on Photoshop?

Agreed.

>That program does the same sorts of tricks that people have done in
>darkrooms for many, many years. There really isn't too much that can be
>done in Photoshop, which can't be done the old fashioned way.

Agreed.

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__