A bigger negative was needed.  Hi might have been able to use a
medium-format rangefinder, like the Mamiya 7II, but the 'blad had a greater
number of lens options available for it.  Plus he had some kind of lighting
setup that worked off of the camera somehow - maybe radio controlled - I
don't know ... Better technique may have helped - see Bill Robb's comment
and my reply.

At the time I saw this fellow, I'd not become aware of the technique you
and Bill described.

Shel