On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 10:19:57AM -0400, K.Takeshita wrote:
> Adam Maas mykroft at mykroft.com Sat Sep 2 08:49:28 EST 2006
>
> >> 400/4 with SSM would be neat. Can't see any good reason to make it
> >> DFA, though. DA will make it smaller, cheaper and just as good.
> >>

> >> Jostein
> >>

> > Actually, the size constraints on a 400 are all in the glass diameter
> > (for a given aperture), format is essentially irrelevant to this, at
> > least until you start talking LF, so there's zero reason to make it a DA
> > lens since it will be the same size anyways.
>
> Exactly.  After certain size (say 200mm or so), there is no reason to make
> it a DA.
> Still some hope for FF wishers :-).

I thought a significant difference between DA and DFA was the presence
of an aperture ring.   Sure, longer focal lengths are going to have an
image circle larger than an APS-sized sensor.   But that in itself isn't
enough to make it a DFA lens.

If, as we expect, these new lenses incorporate a new auto-focus mechanism
then they are designed for use mainly on new cameras.  As such, I doubt
that Pentax would bother with the extra complication of an aperture ring.