What your common sense says is incommunicable. Compressed size isn't
file size if you're trying to tell someone what size file you require
to make a print. It's only relevant to your hard drive requirements.
The size of the file when it's open in PhotoShop is file size. If you
compressed it as a jpeg, it would be yet a different size. There's no
standard when compression sizes are cited. Working file size is the
only reference that is meaningful.
Paul