On 1/3/07, David Savage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So did I. But I was wrong.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purgatory

Just to expand slightly (if I accurately recall my days as a Catholic
schoolboy), purgatory is where one goes to "purge" (get it?) one's
venial sins from one's soul.  One can only be in heaven if one's soul
has been cleansed of all sin.  The more venial sins on one's soul, the
longer one spends in purgatory.  Of course, one can get time off if
one has indulgences made on one's behalf (modern indulgences, unlike
the ones that pissed off Martin Luther, are prayers made on behalf of
another).

Purgatory was described as a heaven-like place - the only thing that
makes a soul "sad" in purgatory is the absence of God.

It frightens me that I remember this...

cheers,
frank, recovering catholic