----- Original Message -----
From: "Digital Image Studio" Subject: Re: Introduction (Raw work flow)

> On 11/01/07, Shel Belinkoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> And how did you, or do you, deal with B&W?
>>
>> Youir comments suggest that you're not a photographer but some kind of
>> technician.
>
> I'm a bit confused and surprised at some of the comments relating to
> Cory's posts. Whether somebody is making photographs to create art or
> records surely they are still a photographer if they control how or
> what is being photographed?

By definitions I have read here, as soon as you pick up a camera, you are a
"photographer".
I started out as a "technician", in that I used the camera as a means to an
end, that being to get into the darkroom and make pictures.
This was when I was 13
I got very proficient fairly quickly at the technical aspects of
photography, but really, it wasn't until after I met Roy Norberg when I was
around 20 that would consider that I became aware enough of the asthetics of
photography to call myself a photographer.
This photography thing is a two edged sword, not a butchers knife. There is
both a technical aspect and an aesthetic aspect involved.
We tend to denigrate the "dummy mode" camera users who call themselves
photographers, since they don't have a clue about the technical aspects, the
*hows* of what we do, but really, if you don't have a sense of the aethetic
you are even more crippled regarding photography. The camera can make you
sufficiently technically proficient, even on green dummy mode, but some
education that trains the aesthetic eye is also required, to give you a
sense of the *whys* of what we do.

William Robb