Dear Mike,

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 02:37:11PM -0500, Mike Johnston wrote:
> P.S. I have to say that I'm totally NOT sold on the idea that a "full-size"
> sensor (meaning 35mm size, 24mm x 36mm) is a good idea. I'm really not sure
> it is. A smaller sensor size is really a great advantage: it means lenses
> can be significantly smaller and lighter and significantly faster, and depth
> of field can be greater for a given angle of view. All these are true
> advantages. I suspect that 24 x 36mm sensors will prove to be an
> evolutionary dead end in the long run. Right now we think we "want" this
> because it conforms to the old standards. But once digital shakes free of
> 35mm conventions, the smaller CCD size will seem like just one more natural
> advantage of digital.

I am curious about your comment about increased DOF with a smaller
format.  I was always under the impression that we get more DOF with
35mm over MF because the typical print magnification is less.  Am I
missing something more subtle here?

Yours sincrely,

Frank.

--
Francis Tang, Postgraduate Research Student.
LFCS, Div. of Informatics, Uni. of Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK.