6 frame RAW buffer on the D300? Huh? I typically get between 15-25 RAW
frames depending on settings (RAW compression, bit depth, DR expansion
and both types of NR all drop the buffer, you'd need to turn
everything on to get 6-9 frames and some options are mutually
exclusive or the buffer is irrelevant when they'd b used like
long-exposure NR). Ditto the AF, it's VERY fast, but extremely complex
and it's possible to seriously misconfigure it. Nikon does not even
approach handholding with their serious cameras.

It sounds like your friend needs to either read the manual or buy Thom
Hogan's e-book.

-Adam

--
M. Adam Maas