I use the same two lenses for weddings. They're perfectly matched to
that task.
I would take the friend's comments and divide them by half. Yes, I'm
sure the D300 offers better autofocus, but defending one's purchase
tends to multiply benefits exponentially. And don't forget that the
two lenses you're using are gems. That counts for a lot.
Paul