2008/10/18 John Sessoms <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Actually, that was someone else's initial comment.

Apologies. Wrong John.

> My initial comment was "Tempest in a teapot"; and IIRC, something to the
> effect "if you read the article, you'll see it's a painting, NOT A
> PHOTOGRAPH".
>
> Because it's a painting, the artist is free to paint the subject in whatever
> manner he pleases; with or without a cigarette. And, while the painting was
> inspired by a photograph, no instance of that photograph has been produced
> that shows the actress holding a cigarette.
>
> So what is the basis for claiming the government "sanitized" history? And
> who is being revisionist?

That's the second time you ask who's revisionist. What are you
actually trying to imply by that?

The government is not the only bad guy in town, either.

> My argument is that if you're going to rail against the "guberment
> sanitizing history", you should save that argument for an instance where the
> government actually HAS sanitized history.

Well the other John should probably thank you for speaking up on his behalf.

> Show me where the cigarette is actually removed from the image to "sanitize
> history"; to hide the fact that people used to smoke.
>
> I find the evidence underwhelmingly insufficient in the cases presented.

You keep harping about _this case_ and _government_. So I will for the
third and hopefully last time repeat that I withdrew my comments
particular to this image and commended the work of the painter. In my
business-making as alternative culprits. You may change the title of
the thread if that's what's needed to broaden the scope of our
exchange. :-)

I also presented a different case which definately _is_ a manipulated
image; the photo of a certain Soviet leader at UN. I doubt very much
that the _government_ was involved in that fix either; more likely the
free press took some extra liberties to pretend they had a shot which
they hadn't. Doesn't make it more right in my book.

Jostein

--
http://www.alunfoto.no/galleri/
http://alunfoto.blogspot.com