I'm pretty sure it has an impact on AF.

Yesterday was waiting for a White-throated Dipper. While waiting I
played a bit with the AF at the stream. No way I could get the damn
thing to lock except when trying at some rocks. After wards I did the
upgrade.

Today I sat by the same river, with same lens, at exactly same spot.
The light was very similar. When retesting, it focused just as we
should expect it to do. Every time I tried it focused, and it did
pretty fast to. Impressive :-)

--
MaritimTim