> > The story the photographer gave, as I recall from when I
> first saw the
> > photo, is that this was routine behaviour of the wolf which he had
> > witnessed many times. Accordingly he set up specially for it. He
> > didn't just happen to be walking by with all his gear and
> suddenly see a wolf jump over the fence.
> > This is no different to the way other wildlife photographers work,
> > such as Eric Hosking with his owls.
> >
> > Bob
>
> I have no issue with habituated wild-living animals.  I feed
> birds to get them close in and to get them used to seeing me
> around and then I create little natural looking perches for
> them to use while waiting to feed.  The issue I have with
> this photographer is that he used a trained, captive animal
> (if the allegations are true; and he is not denying them in
> all accounts I've read he is 'unavailable for comment').
>   If I shoot captive birds and display those photographs to
> people, I mention they are captive and I wouldn't enter them
> into a wildlife contest that has rules against using captive
> animals.  It's fraud.

Yes, sure - I'm not saying it isn't a fraud - I accept the judges' opinion
on that. But Eric Hosking didn't photograph captive owls, he photographed
wild owls using pre-focused cameras and flashes with trip wires, which is
what the wolf photographer did.

I'm only saying this to point out that the technique itself says nothing
about the wildness or otherwise of the creature, contrary to the claims of
some previous posters.

Bob