On Feb 4, 2010, at 13:04 , Jim King wrote:

AlunFoto wrote on Wed, 03 Feb 2010 21:45:02 -0800:

Mark,

I researched this extensively a year ago before buying a laptop
myself. My conclusion then was that no laptops with smaller than 17"
screen has any of the higher quality panel types. That also included
the offerings from Apple.
(snip)
Anyway, things may have changed in the past year. From experience I strongly recommend you find one with LED backlighting whatever you do. LED has more even illumination towards the corners, does not require warm-up before colour rendition is stable, and consumes less power than do CCFL. However if you find you have to go with a CCFL based screen because of other model specifications, make sure you find one with at least two tubes to get decent brightness. The recent Lenovos like W400 for example, have rather weak illumination.
Mark (and Jostein), things HAVE changed in the MacBook Pro lineup. All of the current offerings use an IPS screen with LED backlighting. I got a 15 incher at Chrstmas as a present for myself, and it's gorgeous! You can get either a glossy screen or a matte screen ($50 upcharge) as you prefer.

Do yourself a favor and take a look at the Mac Book Pro before you decide what to buy.

Sort of along the same vein, and a definite jab, for which I apologize, something I just wrote somewhere else on the net:

"If someone was standing in front of you, trying to slap your face repeatedly, hour after hour, day after day, year after year, would you just stand there?

Yet you currently pay someone to stand between you and the deranged persons attacking you.

Just one of the ways you would save money in the long run by getting a Macintosh! No one slapping, no one to pay to protect your face. Life is so much more pleasant.

Why is it that Microsoft has been unable to write an OS for more than 20 years that has more fortitude than Windows does? I'll never understand it.

Crazy love is what you got."

Joseph McAllister
pentax...@mac.com

http://gallery.me.com/jomac