Mark,

I researched this extensively a year ago before buying a laptop
myself. My conclusion then was that no laptops with smaller than 17"
screen has any of the higher quality panel types. That also included
the offerings from Apple.

The IPS-based FlexView series of screens from IBM/Lenovo ended with
the T60 model.

After researching the available panel types of all the screen mfg.s I
could find a website for, I believe there are probably no reputable
makers of high-quality panels in small sizes anymore. It looks like
they are all waiting for OLED to happen, and in the meanwhile compete
over TN panels with the least power consumption rather than colour
accuracy.

Even in the >= 17" segment, I found only 4 laptops _claiming_ superior
colour rendition; Dell precision 6400, Apple's 17" macbook, Lenovo's
monster ThinkPad W700 (you'll need one heck of a lap to insist on it
being a laptop), and HP EliteBook 8730w.

I could find no in-depth information on the Apple, but the others
appear to have PVA panels.

Dell source their panels from different vendors all the time, and
there are many reports of Dell screens with same model number but
different panel types depending on availability at the moment of
production. I found no direct reference to the Presicion 6400 in
particular, though.

I also found out that most glare-free laptop screens are actually
glossy screens with a sheet of matting foil on top. My impression is
that opting for a matte screen reduce reflections, but at the same
time trade higher translucency for a smaller viewing angle. IOW, not
really a good bargain.

Anyway, things may have changed in the past year. From experience I
strongly recommend you find one with LED backlighting whatever you do.
LED has more even illumination towards the corners, does not require
warm-up before colour rendition is stable, and consumes less power
than do CCFL. However if you find you have to go with a CCFL based
screen because of other model specifications, make sure you find one
with at least two tubes to get decent brightness. The recent Lenovos
like W400 for example, have rather weak illumination.

Personally I ended up buying a Dell Precision 2400 (14" 1440x900px
matted LED-lit screen) which is no more than half-decent when
calibrated. But it has a weight and bulk I can live with.

hth,
Jostein

--
http://www.alunfoto.no/galleri/