(I haven't read the DPR review and likely won't. Never did put much
faith or find much credibility in what they have to say. But Cotty:
I agree with you .. I'd much rather have an R-D1 or an M8 than an
X100, even with only one lens.)

I was all prepared to swoon over the X100 but playing with one found
it quite underwhelming, which led to my discovery of the GXR. Frankly,
I dont care one wit if only two other people discover the GXR .. It's
simply a brilliant little camera for a photographer, not without its
own warts, but it's warts and I seem to get along. I've found vey
little in wasted gizmos or silly features in it.

I was at B&H today and had the chance to experiment with all of the
GXR camera modules. Even the small sensor S10 24-72mm EFL camera
module works very well, the A12 50mm EFL camera module is superb just
like the 28mm. One of them will be waiting for me when I get home next
week, along with a Leica optical finder for it.

All I need to have a complete three lens traditional kit (wide,
normal, portrait tele) with the camera after that is the M lens module
and a 50mm lens. Once I have the M lens module I can also adapt my
Nikkor 85mm and Pentax 135mm lenses to it too. And all of a sudden
it's sounding like an SLR replacement move, because if I don't need
the speed of the E-5 it is producing image quality quite on par and
takes up 1/3 the space and weight... !

BTW: face detect AF on the G1 was actually quite useful for a good bit
of my people shooting. I wouldn't dis a camera for having it, but
neither would I go out of my way to get it. It's much like video: nice
to have, occasionally useful ...

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com