On 5/18/2011 14:42, Cotty wrote:
On the latter, you turn the focus ring and it has a set and finite
movement. It's instinctive. The more you use it, the better you know
where closest focus is and where infinity is. It has 'end stops' - the
points at which it won't turn anymore.

I can relate to that. D FA 50/2.8 has the AF system that allows full manual override. The downsize - it will rotate beyond infinity and closer than the closest focusing distance.

And I totally agree with your sentiment that focus by wire is simply different mechanical realization of the same electronic switch (such as rocker switch)... I believe it may be possible to make it "closer" to the good olde mechanical focus ring, but it would probably be way out of the target domain, so to say.

Boris