On 18/5/11, Godfrey DiGiorgi, discombobulated, unleashed:

>(I haven't read the DPR review and likely won't. Never did put much
>faith or find much credibility in what they have to say. But Cotty:
>I agree with you .. I'd much rather have an R-D1 or an M8 than an
>X100, even with only one lens.)
>
>I was all prepared to swoon over the X100 but playing with one found
>it quite underwhelming,

The big downer for me seems to be the fact that the manual focus is 'fly-
by-wire'. I have an HD camcorder that uses this system and for precise
manual focussing I find it fiddly - although (as they also mention re
the X100) accurate. It's fiddly because you turn the focus ring and and
action sends inputs through to the appropriate element(s) inside the
lens to move and achieve the desired focus - by electronic motors and
not direct contact. You might think this is fine, but I. dear reader, do
not. What it means in practice is that you turn the ring and it moves
the focus - but not in the same way as a pure manual actuation, as on a
good old-fashioned manual focus lens.

On the latter, you turn the focus ring and it has a set and finite
movement. It's instinctive. The more you use it, the better you know
where closest focus is and where infinity is. It has 'end stops' - the
points at which it won't turn anymore. The fly-by-wire system has none
of this. The focus ring will turn and turn forever. It is simply a
method of adjusting the focus electronically by letting the user turn a
metal ring. Allegedly, the slower you turn it the more precise the
control, and the faster you turn it the faster it moves through the
focus range. To me this is complete bollocks and counter-intuitive. You,
dear reader, may like it.

As I say, I use this system in a small HD camcorder that I use
professionally - and it's a pain. But the thing is small and has many
other benefits, so not a problem. In my proper camcorder you will find a
fully manual focussing lens with a massive focus ring. Can't do without
that. If I rehearse a focus pull through a video shot, then my hand must
be doing the same movement for each take. With the fly-by-wire system,
this is not possible. Might as well use a rocker or toggle switch. In
the event they've chosen a metal ring on the lens barrel. It's an
electronic switch, not a focus ring.

But what on a still camera? I'm afraid I still want the manual focus on
a camera like this. Maybe if they release an X100 version with
interchangeable manual focus lenses (M mount? not gonna happen) then
I'll look again....

Rant over :)

--

Cheers,