> From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
> Godfrey DiGiorgi

> > Here are the first pictures, taken around Greenwich earlier today:
> > <http://www.web-options.com/X100/>
>
> Great, I'll be interested to hear your impressions as you become more
> familiar and comfortable with it.
> First results show promise ...
>
> > ... The optical viewfinder, which is why I bought this rather than
> some other
> > camera, is essentially just a framing device - you can't use if for
> manual
> > focusing, so you have to be aware of where the focus point is. ...
>
> That's one of the reasons why it didn't do much for me. Turn on all
> the overlays and it's a complicated, fussy view. Turn them off and
> it's a nice simple framing device, but the X100's EVF is no great
> shakes for manual focusing. I figured if that was going to be the
> case, I'd rather have the viewfinder be an option, exchangable with a
> better quality EVF when needed for precise eye level work.

I can understand your thinking. I've been using the grid with the horizon
indicator today, for the novelty. HCB had a horrific premonition that
cameras would come equipped with rule-of-thirds grids, so I will switch it
off, but I was surprised by how far from horizontal I naturally frame. I've
no real interest in the EVF, and it doesn't represent the tones and colours
of the scene naturally.

[...]
> I agree. For a Leicaphile, the Leica X1 does a better job of maintaing
> the simplicity and transparency of a Leica M sans the interchangeable
> lens and rangefinder focusing.
>
> I'd love to see Leica go with a CL-D along the lines of the brief I
> sent them a half dozen years ago now ... An electronically coupled
> optical rangefinder with manual focus prime lenses ...

Well, a couple of hours ago I compared the X100 with the M3 and I can report
that they are the same thickness. The M3 is fractionally higher on the left,
and the M3 is longer by about 1.5cm, but what that tells me is that Leica
should be able to return to the M3 dimensions in the M10 when it comes, and
that's what I would like them to do more than anything else.