On Sep 21, 2011, at 12:32 PM, Tom C wrote:

>> Note that I said N's entry "validated _a_ market", but I didn't say it
>> was a market of which I was a part.  I suspect the validated market may
>> be largely made up of young Japanese women. Pentax recently tested those
>> waters with the candy coloured, Hello Kittied K-r/K-x's. Market
>> researchers must have given a big thumbs up.
>>
>> I too am not going to be buying a Q or a V1. I'd be more likely to buy a
>> 645D.

Let me see what happens with 645D (or 645DmkII) prices and performance in 3-5
years time.  Or, for that matter, my income.

>> -bmw
>>

> OK, I understand. :-)
>
> What I don't understand is the apparent assumption that a person in
> the market for this type of diminutive sensor size camera (implies
> image quality is not at the top of their priority list) would actually
> care that it has interchangeable lenses (implies image quality IS a
> high priority).

I'd be interested in seeing side by side photos, in various conditions between
the Q, the V1, and $1,000 SLRs circa 2005.
I remember, sometime around 2006, poking around on the Canon website and
thinking that their current full frame DSLRs looked like they had about the
level of performance that I wanted and needed, and wondered when I'd be able to
afford that level of performance.  The K-5 answered that question.  If these
companies wait until sensor performance "justifies" interchangeable lenses at
that sensor (and by extension camera body) size, then the market will already
be staked out by early arrivals.

> Could it be this is a way of attracting current P&S owners to upgrade
> into the more lucrative mirrorless and DSLR markets, by offering a
> move up that is close in size to a P&S (at least with a standard
> wide-angle lens)?

Interchangeable lenses are fun, sensor improve. Will these cameras provide
better performance than point and shoots?  I'm sure they will, especially with
good prime lenses rather than super zooms.  Will people be able to keep those
lenses and upgrade to a body with twice the performance in a couple of years?
I'm sure of that.  I wouldn't, however, bet Cotty's hat against an APS EVIL in
the next year or two.