This reminds me of a story I saw recently about the early days of HIV/AIDS -
some kid in Virginia was required to wear a bubble to school to protect the
other kids. Today it is photographers who are dangerous and many want to put a
bubble around us to protect themselves and their kids.
I think the "protection" of kids is way over the top and reflects a media which
thrives on drama and scary stuff. The overwhelming majority of child abductions
are about parental custody disputes, not about weird strangers. Same story with
sexual assault - mostly a within-family issue. And the concept of parents
"protecting" their children from vaccines!?! Giving everyone a trophy whether
they win lose or draw? Driving kids to school when there are perfectly good
streets to bicycle on and sidewalks to walk on? Jeesh! All part of a pattern
which reflects what seems to me to be extreme overprotection.

I was browsing through Christine's summary of her 2011 PAW and noticed this
shot:
http://www.caguila.com/pawyear2011/content/pawweek43halloweenmaid_large.html
As I recall her comment when first posting this, and based on the caption, I am
quite sure she did not know this child, nor did she ask permission of the
parents to take the shot and to post it. I would have done the same without a
second thought, and I would not honor a request by a parent to take the image
down once posted.

stan