On 6/5/2012 05:38, William Robb wrote:
I've read reports of archival blue rays failing within startlingly short
periods of time, and cloud storage is only as long lived as the company
running the facility. IIRC, recently there was a cloud storage company
in the USA that got shut down by the feds because some of their members
were storing data they didn't own. I'm not sure if the golden users were
able to retain their data or not, but there was certainly a period of
time when that data wasn't available to them.
I don't really think one digital storage technology negates the use of
another one in this instance, since they are all much more failure prone
than a piece of paper stored in a box under the bed.

Bill, I am thinking that anything you do is as good as your keeping your watchful eye over it. Archival write-once media still needs occasional operation to see that it still works. HDD backup also needs renewal. So, I am thinking that if one keeps one's valuable (in terms of one's work) data in proper order (keeping backups up to date, exercising backup storage, etc) - one would be safe with very high probability.

Although semi-jocular, I still find this page http://www.taobackup.com/ rather relevant to this discussion.

Boris