Well I sold my MGB books so I went ahead and ordered the Arca Swiss
Monoball P0 with Panning System With 1/4" and 3/8" Threaded Disk
http://www.adorama.com/AWMBP0.html

I see now that they also offer the P0 with a "classic Arca-Swiss" top
or the one with Flip-Lock, but the price is $180-200 higher. I think I
would rather try the Sunway clamp (Arca-Swiss compatible)
http://www.amazon.com/SUNWAYFOTO-Discal-Compatible-DDY-64i-Sunway/product-reviews/B009EIQ41I/
and put the extra $150 in my pocket.

I may give some of the inexpensive Arca-Swiss compatible plates off
eBay a try also. That part of the equation just isn't that complicated
(machining-wise) but I think it is wise to put the money in the real
deal on the ball head side of the equation. For now, I'm just buying
the ball head and I will have to physically screw it onto the camera
or lens. I've wanted a good head to go on my 3021BPRO for a while now,
and there is just no way to do astrophotography without a rock steady
head.

Again, thanks to all for the input on the QR system. I haven't
committed to one yet, but I'm leaning towards the "classic" Arca-Swiss
since there are so many choices (including cheaper "knock-offs") for
L-brackets, etc.

--
Nothing is sure but death and Pentaxes.