Well that solder joint idea that you and PJ mentioned is intriguing - I was jsut sort of interested in it

turning out to be something that is , as they say today, "a thing". I have left it on radio since I wrote earlier -

and just now I popped in a cassette and it played. So for now, I can either just leave it on or turn it on ahead of when I want to listen :-)

Thanks guys!

ann