Jeff, lists,

Given that I'm sitting on a jury trial beginning at 2:00 this afternoon,
one which may last several weeks, I'll have to let Frederik answers to my
first two questions stand in lieu of my own for now, Jeff, only reiterating
what I'd earlier mentioned, viz. that I have found the distinction between
operational and optimal iconicity of value in my own work. Especially the
introduction of optimal iconicity as a desideratum has motivated me to
strive for* l'iconicità più ottimale *in my own diagrams and to look for
and value it in others'.

I also believe that Peirce's moving more and more to an extreme realism has
a decided impact on all aspects of his work in the final decades of his
life, including his semiotics and especially his pragmatism. I am one of
those who sees Peirce's work as evolving in particular ways over the course
of his career, perhaps especially as this involves his rethinking
scholastic realism. However, I've no time left to discuss any of this
further, I'm afraid.

I'm still hoping to have the chance to discuss "the very long quotation" in
Chapter 8, as well as brief discussions of the last two sections of that
chapter. But should you--or anyone--care to continue the discussion of EGs,
especially as concerns the matter of Peirce's going beyond material
implication there, please do! I'm heartened to learn that you are
interested in discussing that passage, Jeff, and will participate as fully
in that discussion as time allows.

Best,

Gary

[image: Gary Richmond]