Jon, Gary F.,

I think that Gary F. is looking for the diametrical contrary of 'indubitability' in Peirce's sense. Such would be /insuspectability/. That something is indubitable in Peirce's sense means that one can't doubt it, even if eventually one may come to doubt it. This is related to Peirce's critical common-sensism, in which he holds that there is a set of propositions which people can't seriously doubt at the time, a set which changes only slowly over time if at all. Thus, any proposition inconsistent with those indubitable propositions would be insuspectable at that time. However, the indubitable propositions also tend to be vague, so inconsistencies with other propositions will tend to be vague too.

Now, the pragmatic maxim is a maxim about definitions, not the conduct of research, and Peirce in that context eventually calls a conception's meaning its 'purport'. At the end of 'How to Make Our Ideas Clear,' Peirce says that he has discussed how to make our ideas clear, and that that is not the same thing as making them true, i.e., verifying them, which will be the subject of his next paper.

I think that what one can do in a conception in order to accommodate future learning and surprises is incorporate Peirce's contrite confession pf fallibility, plus a claim of 'successibility' (denial of radical skepticism).

I do think that the reality of possibility makes a difference to the pragmatic maxim in the sense that pragmatism leads to accepting such reality and its denial tends to weaken the pragmatic maxim, since it makes a conception's purport depend on whether certain conceived conditions will ever be fulfilled, not on whether we think their fulfillment is conceivable. I think Peirce's realism was little stronger in the early 1870s than when he wrote 'How to Make Our Ideas Clear', for example see CP 7.340-1 (1873, "Reality" in "The Logic of 1873").

Best, Ben