Thank you Ben for a clear answer. I would say, then, that in thinking about formal mathematics Peirce was to some extent nominalistic, which of course leaves him free to be realistic about diagrams and physics. The basis for considering logic to be realistic is still mysterious to me.

Of course there is still a great epistemic variety among today's mathematicians and physicists, largely because of great mysteries. Natural selection has made sure we begin life as naive realists which is necessary for immediate survival. However, as physics has had to rely more and more on creative imagination for models of events, which are way beyond natural senses and common sense, it is only reasonable that the models become more nominalistic.

Howard