Dear Ben, lists -

Thank you for good illustrations of the issue.
I discuss the example with suicide and banrkuptcy from "An Improvement of the
Gamma graphs" towards the end of ch. 8. Here Peirce denies the rule of passage
- the "strange rule" as he has it - granting the equivalence between your graph
1 and your graphs 2 and 3. Thereby, P insists that "There is a man, and if he
goes bankrupt, a man commits suicide" is different from "There is a man, and if
he goes bankrupt, he commits suicide". There are at least two difficulties here
- one that we tend to read these claims as causal, temporal claims while they
must be read as purely logical - the other is that a claim about (at least) one
person having two properties (2,3) is identified with (1) a claim about two
persons having one property each (but the two may be identical, we do not
know). It is the second of these difficulties which P addresses, and the reason
for his doubts, leading him to deny the "strange rule" seems to be that he
wants to be able to read the implication in 2) and 3) as saying that having one
property entails having the other.

Best

Den 18/01/2015 kl. 00.20 skrev Benjamin Udell