Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 16:07:03 -0500
From: bud...@nyc.rr.com
To: peirce-l@list.iupui.edu
Subject: Contradictories, contraries, etc. WAS Re: [PEIRCE-L] Natural
Propositions : Chapter 8 -  On the philosophical nature of semiosis?

      Jerry,

      The examples that you use from the Aristotelian Square of
        Opposition are standard examples of contradictories, contraries,
        subcontraries, and subalterns. The examples are not definitive
        of them, however. Every pair of propositions (aside from
        self-referring propositions and that sort of thing) is one of
        the following:

      A pair of contradictories consists of two propositions
        such as 'John is blue' and 'John is not blue', such that each
          proposition is equivalent to the other's negation. That's
        to say, that they can't be both of them true and they can't be
        both of them false.

      A pair of contraries consists of two propositions such
        as 'John is blue' and 'John is quiet and not blue', such that each
          proposition implies, without being implied by, the other's
          negation. That's to say, that they can't be both of them
        true, but they can be both of them false. Another example is 'We
        have exactly five dogs' and 'We have exactly four dogs'.

      A pair of subcontraries consists of two propositions
        such as 'John is not blue' and 'John is blue or not quiet', such
        that each proposition is implied by, without implying, the
          other's negation. That's to say, that they can both of
        them true, but they can't be both of them false.

      A pair of subalterns consists of two propositions such
        as 'John is blue' and 'John is blue or quiet', such that each
          proposition neither implies, nor is implied, by the other's
          negation. That's to say, that they can both of them be
        true, and they can both of them be false. Any contingent
        proposition is subaltern with itself, that is, 'John is blue'
        and 'John is blue' are equivalents and subalterns of each other.
        Formally true propositions are equivalent and subcontrary to
        each other. Formally false propositions are equivalent and
        contrary to each other. No propositions are each the other's
        equivalent and contradictory.

      In the Boolean Square of Opposition, A & E are each other's
        subalterns. Likewise I & O.

      Subalterns used to be distinguished from superalterns but
        that's in the old terminology.

      I won't provide references, look at 20th-Century logic text
        books.

      Best, Ben