Jeff D., list,

I re-read my post below and realize that my main two points probably got lost in the chatter, and they were in support of you. I meant

1. that it does make sense to speak of hypotheses in phaneroscopy since it makes sense (in Peirce's later opinion and FWIW in mine) to speak of reasoning in phaneroscopy, and 2. that (although I had raised loosely Peirce-based doubts about it in earlier messages) mathematical hypotheses are comparable, in regard to their potential for shedding explanatory light, with hypotheses in other fields, so your desire to compare phaneroscopic hypotheses with mathematical ones makes sense.

* * *

I didn't go far enough in saying how imaginary and complex numbers are hypotheses that help simplify (and indeed explain) things about real numbers. An example that I vaguely remembered from some book but didn't dig up till the other day:

   The impetus to study complex numbers proper first arose in the 16th
   century when algebraic solutions for the roots of cubic and quartic
   polynomials were discovered by Italian mathematicians (see Niccolò
   Fontana Tartaglia, Gerolamo Cardano). It was soon realized that
   these formulas, even if one was only interested in real solutions,
   sometimes required the manipulation of square roots of negative numbers.
   [End quote from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_number ]

As regards non-Archimedean numbers, I didn't know till yesterday that p-adic numbers are non-Archimedean. They were regarded, like the nonstandard reals later on, as playthings by some, but are now regarded as co-equal to the reals, according to (peirce-l member) Joseph W. Dauben in "Abraham Robinson and Nonstandard Analysis: History, Philosophy, and Foundations of Mathematics" in _History and Philosophy of Modern Mathematics_. If nonstandard reals are just another way of talking about certain limits, why not vice versa? That idea is probably riskier than I know, since I don't know enough about math. And then of course there are further things, such as superreals and surreals.

Best, Ben