On 10/28/15 7:07 PM, Gary Richmond wrote:
Matt wrote;

    My uses of 'First', 'Second', or 'Third' are to denote specific
    instantiations of the categories of Firstness, Secondness, or
    Thirdness. This is similar to how I use 'a general' as a specific
    instantiation of generality. Perhaps we all should follow this
    standard. Saying "category the Third" just seems like bad grammar.
    Same with saying "a Thirdness."

I'm not sure that I fully agree. Sometimes Peirceans like to speak of, say, Thirdness, /as/ a category, or in some other way which does not represent an "instantiation" of a category (I'm not even sure what "instantiation" means exactly in regard to 1ns and 3ns especially).

What you wrote does agree with my usage. By instantiation I mean an instance, i.e., an example, of the category. I'm saying that 'Thirdness' should only be used as a category, not as referring to a specific instantiation, an example, of a category; and "a Third" should refer to an instantiation, an example, of the category. When I say, "you are a person", "a person" is a way to say you belong to the category of personness; so you, as a person, are an instantiation of the category of personness. I'm saying that this grammar should apply to the categories: "a first" is something that belongs to the category of Firstness. Consider this:

   "Let us proceed in the same way with Thirdness. We have here a
   first, a second, and a third. The first is a positive qualitative
   possibility, in itself nothing more. The second is an existent thing
   without any mode of being less than existence, but determined by
   that first. A third has a mode of being which consists in the
   Secondnesses that it determines, the mode of being of a law, or
   concept."

http://www.commens.org/dictionary/entry/quote-csps-lowell-lectures-1903-2nd-part-3rd-draught-lecture-iii-3

Here Peirce says a third "has" a mode of being, instead of "is" a mode of being. This tells me he is thinking along the standard I think should be followed. Thirdness /is/ a mode of being, while a third /has/ a mode of being.

Matt

Also, since except for certain types of analysis, the categories are all three present in any genuine tricategorial relation, "instantiation" seems a problematic expression. Perhaps I'm missing your meaning, however.

I agree with you that saying "category the Third" is just (Peirce's) bad grammar. I don't know anyone else who uses that expression today. And I would also say that "a Thirdness" is not only bad grammar, but probably altogether meaningless.

Best,

Gary R

Gary Richmond*
*