List,

The argument given in Matt's email below is problematic.  I will raise a
question and make a brief and casual effort to place a Peircian interpretation
on symbolic communication in terms of current scientific terminology.

While human language is a very powerful source of human communication, is it
complete with regard to expressibility of information?

I give two examples of what I consider to be the incompleteness of utterances
as the sole source of the meaning of information.

1. Mathematical equations can be read as sentences, but when the number of
terms is large, the reader must evaluate the individual symbols as units of the
whole and as the unity (wholeness of the equation) for the message to be
communicated.  This is NOT the usual linear process extracting meaning of a
written or spoken sentence.

2. A chemical icon (rheme) is even more difficult to interpret. The message
emerges from a perception of its components, its arrangement of components and
often, it role in the chemistry of life such as "DNA".  It can requires a huge
number of words (the name of each symbol) and ALL of the individual relations
among them (bonding pattern) but also A QUANTITATIVE EXACT NAME for the
specific entity.

These two examples go to the very root of understanding the unity of human
communication among two academic units - mathematics and chemistry. Musical
symbols, as units, are less exact as the artist must interpret them, thereby
adding information during a performance.

Human communication CAN requires icons (in the traditional sense) with a
countable number of terms (indices) that are visualizable  and interpretable
within the logical rules (legisigns) that can be formed from multiple premises
(rhemata) and multiple possible arrangements (dicisigns) such that arguments
can be made that are consistent with the individual members of a category
(sinsigns), their proper attributes (qualisigns), and their common symbols in a
symbol system designed for that purpose.

 (The preceding sentence strives to integrate the nine rather arbitrary terms
of CSP into a meaningful thought.)

The two examples above are both examples of the perplexity of artificial symbol
systems that put exact and extreme requirements on the meaning of
expressibility and completeness, the consistency of arguments and the logical
soundness for the meaning of signs and symbols.

Cheers

Jerry