Edwina,

I will quote myself from the response I gave to Matt Faunce right before
replying to you.

"Matt, list,

Can you give your source for this?

I cannot. I confess that my statement was not well-thought out. I did not
mean to imply anything about the possibility of developing scientific
terminology in any given human language. What I meant "about the
development of a language to the point where it can articulate scientific
terminology" is thinking about the case of where we find ourselves today,
in the state in which scientific terminology has actually developed to the
point it has. Obviously not every human language in history has developed
to the point of having the terminology that the sciences today command. For
example, the use of Latin words for developing terms identifying species in
biology, and the whole host of such terms that have been developed. Or the
development of mathematical language to the point where physical theories
like the general and special theories of relativity can be articulated.

I take it for granted though that it is widely acknowledged that human
languages do differ with respect to the rules of construction and the
things that can be said. If there has not been a vocabulary established in
a given language for discussing projective geometry, people speaking only
that language won't be able to say things about it without going through
the work of developing a system of terminology in order to say things about
it, or by translating from another language.

My essential point though was just to point out that trying to look to
human language as a model for representing reasoning, or the subject matter
of logic, is an ill-considered and ill-advised venture, precisely because
there is so much difference between human languages. It's not as though a
universal human language has been discovered by linguists, so I raised
concerns about Sungchul's reliance on 'human language' as his model for
representing reasoning. If one is to accept Sunchul's approach, we would
have to admit that there are different kinds of reasoning, one for each
human language, and logic would cease to be a general science of reasoning,
and would become indistinguishable from linguistics."

If you think this statement does not clarify my position well enough,
please let me know what specifically you feel continues to be an important
issue. If it helps, by saying that human languages differ with respect to
the things that can be said, I don't mean to imply that the language can't
develop, say, a mathematical science that will permit it to talk about,
say, principles of geometry. But if the work has not been done to develop
that terminology, then the average member of that linguistic community will
find it very challenging to think and express those principles, and will
have to commit to developing the language in a determinate to talk about
those sorts of ideas.

I would like to add that you have not acknowledged that your own position,
Edwina, is in conflict with Peirce's views, in that language does have an
impact on what we think, and so does play some role in determining the
thoughts we have, as individuals and as a community. Thought determines
thought, and all thought being in signs, this means that language does
determine thought to some extent. Your "radical freedom from language"
theory is really just nothing but the discredited idea of the Cartesian
ego. The habits of language persist and we are forced often to work within
the confines of those habits. Yes, innovation and creativity is possible,
but not in the "blank slate" way you suggest. Peirce would not have to
spend so much effort on terminology, to the point of articulating an ethics
of terminology, if the words we use don't matter for how we think. Just
consider your debates regarding sign and representamen. Does it matter that
you get that terminology right with everyone else, if you agree that
language doesn't really matter and everyone really does understand already
what is being thought about? Why care about getting clear about the
language being used, if not to get clear about the thinking with everyone
else?

-- Franklin