Edwina,

My point is that ANY peoples, - since they have the capacity for thought -
> and thus, ANY language, can achieve such a result - and it doesn't require
> any 'development of the language'.

It certainly does require that the language has developed the terms that
allow more complex thoughts to be articulated.

I suppose that you have somehow gotten stuck on the idea that the
development of a language must be a development of its grammar. As I had
been saying to Sungchul originally, language is a term than can be taken in
a wider sense, and it depends in what sense that term is meant. Clearly,
you want to identify language and grammar as the same thing. I believe that
the vocabulary of a language is also part of what that language is, and the
development of a language's available vocabulary is a development of that
language. Shakespeare, for example, is commonly understood to have
transformed the English language and made it much more expressive in terms
of its vocabulary. Whether one should include the culture and history that
goes with a language as being part of the language, is also a matter for
consideration. I'm not trying to say that one should think of language in
that way, only that this is one way to think about the meaning of the term;
and one needs to get clear about what is meant by the term 'language' when
discussing language. I said that at the outset, and I would have
appreciated it if you read the original discussion and understood that
before accusing me of erroneous views based on your own presumption as to
what language is and what must be meant by its development. I attempted to
clarify that by a language being capable of articulating scientific
terminology, I did not mean that it required a change in its general
grammar to do so, but that there is a community of thought, expressed in
that language, that has developed in that language to express scientific
concepts and understanding. Not every human language has come to develop in
this way with respect to every science there is as of today, and there will
no doubt be sciences in the future that language today, even the one we
currently use, has yet to develop the way to thinking through and
articulating.

I have made no attempt to deny that Firstness is at work in language, and
have specifically said that creativity and innovation is important. But I
think you overstated the case for how great a role Firstness plays a role,
to the point of erasing the presence of Thirdness. I referenced the idea of
the Cartesian ego because you seemed to be expressing the view that the
human mind, as it exists today, is altogether independent of language, and
could get along thinking just as well without the use of an inherited
language. I strongly believe that this is a false view of the matter, and
that we are, in large part, dependent upon language for our thinking (not
completely, of course, as there is genuine creative force at work as well).
I am reminded of a quote from Peirce, "Some Consequences of Four
Incapacities", EP 1, p.54; CP, vol. 5, para.313-314; italics in original,
bold added by me:

"313. ...Again, consciousness is sometimes used to signify the *I think*,
or unity in thought; but the unity is nothing but consistency, or the
recognition of it. Consistency belongs to every sign, so far as it is a
sign; and therefore every sign, since it signifies primarily that it is a
sign, signifies its own consistency. The man-sign acquires information, and
comes to mean more than he did before. But so do words. Does not
electricity mean more now than it did in the days of Franklin? Man makes
the word, and the word means nothing which the man has not made it mean,
and that only to some man. *But since man can think only by means of words
or other external symbols, these might turn round and say: "You mean
nothing which we have not taught you, and then only so far as you address
some word as the interpretant of your thought."* In fact, therefore, men
and words reciprocally educate each other; each increase of a man's
information involves and is involved by, a corresponding increase of a
word's information.

314. Without fatiguing the reader by stretching this parallelism too far,
it is sufficient to say that there is no element whatever of man's
consciousness which has not something corresponding to it in the word; *and
the reason is obvious. It is that the word or sign which man uses is the
man himself.* For, as the fact that every thought is a sign, taken in
conjunction with the fact that life is a train of thought, proves that man
is a sign; so, that every thought is an *external *sign, proves that man is
an external sign. That is to say, the man and the external sign are
identical, in the same sense in which the words *homo* and *man* are
identical. *Thus my language is the sum total of myself; for the man is the
thought.*"

-- Franklin