We will continue to have different views..

1) I strongly reject that there is any ordinality in the categories. They are
descriptions of modes of organization - and there is no evidence that the
process must move from Firstness to Secondness to Thirdness. Certainly - a
universe made up of only ONE of these modes is impossible. And certainly, the
qualia of Firstness do, gradually, interact, and do, gradually take up habits.
But I hesitate to ascribe such a linear order for we can have a sign/'thing'
operative only in ONE of the modal categories. And it won't necessarily move
from that; i.e., a weather vane in Secondness.

2) I see induction as a process of gathering data. That's all. I don't see it
as leading to a law, but as confirming that law. Abduction is, in my view, the
generation of the hypothesis....to be 'proven' as far as possible by induction.
Deduction is the weaker of them all, for it almost removes itself from
reality..and simply pronounces its righteousness.

3) Secondness is, as Peirce notes, 'the element of struggle' 1.322. a 'mutual
action between two things regardless of any sort of third or medium, and in
particular, regardless of any law of action" (1.322). And...he rejects  the
'idea of a law'..being essential to the idea of one thing acting upon another'
1.323....[I know he sometimes uses the term 'law' to refer to Secondness' but
this is only the singular action of an interaction, not the gestation of the
law/habit'.] He continues: 'the idea of second is predominant in the ideas of
causation and statical force" 1.325.

and 'For that reason, pure dyadism is an act of arbitrary will or of blind
force; for if there is any reason, or law, governing it, that mediates between
the two subjects and brings about their connection. The dyad is an individual
fact, as it existentially is; and has no generality in it. 1.328.

This is mechanical necessity but, within the organism of the two units
interacting, there is no general rule or law. That is, the wind moving the
weather vane is a mechanical kinetic action, but there is no Thirdness in
either that mediates the interaction between them. It was simply an interaction
'of brute forces'.  "Law is a matter of thought and meaning" 1.345. And
mechanics doesn't include thought. It may be the RESULT of thought - as the
operation of the bicycle is the RESULT of the thought that created such a means
of transportation.

Edwina