Gary f.

From: Jon Alan Schmidt [mailto:jonalanschm...@gmail.com]
Sent: 15-Jan-17 14:05

Gary F., Ben, List:

I agree with Ben that Peirce used "singular" in a different sense in the 1903
Harvard Lecture that Gary F. referenced.  More so even than "individual," he
seems to have had in mind how he elsewhere defined "existence"--that which
reacts with other like things in the environment.  Consequently, when he
characterized "the totality of all real objects" as a "singular," I suspect
that he was referring to everything that exists, not everything that is
real--since in his view, the latter includes generals, which by definition are
not singular.

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 12:50 PM, Benjamin Udell <baud...@gmail.com