> On Jan 24, 2017, at 4:24 PM, Jon Alan Schmidt <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> CG:  For a legisign the sign consists of a general idea and that’s what I
> think you’re talking about.
>
> Right, but a legisign/type can only be a collective; it cannot represent an
> object that is a Possible or an Existent, only a Necessitant.

Yes, but I don’t see how that’s a problem for the reasons I mentioned about
building up signs out of subsigns.

My sense is that we’re all talking past one an other due to semantics. That is
there’s an element of equivocation in play.

If I say, “all red objects” that is general but I can move from the general to
the particulars. That doesn’t seem to be a problem with Peirce’s semiotics.
(This is also why I think in practice the nominalist vs. realist debate doesn’t
matter as much as some think)

I don’t have time to say much. I’ll think through it some more later. Right now
I’m just not clear where the disagreement is.