Edwina, List:

ET:  As I've said repeatedly - the key factor of Peircean semiosis is that
it is not mechanical or linear but enables an understanding of complex
morphological generation which is enabled by constant transformative
RELATIONS between TRIADIC PROCESSES. Again, the full triad is the SIGN.
None of the other 'parts' of the triadic SIGN exist 'per se' on their own.
They only function - as functions - within the full triadic interaction.

This is what I personally have a hard time recognizing as *Peircean *semeiosis,
which is certainly not mechanical or linear--i.e., dyadic--but I understand
it to be a matter of *triadic relations*, rather than *relations between
triadic processes*.  Again, the Sign is not a triadic *function*, it is one
participant in an irreducibly triadic *relation*.  The Sign (or
Representamen), the Object (Dynamic and Immediate), and the Interpretant
(Immediate, Dynamic, and Final) are not *themselves *relations, they are
all real *subjects* from a logical and metaphysical standpoint.  Each of
them, as well as their relations *to each other*, can be a constituent of
any of the three Universes--a Possible (1ns), an Existent (2ns), or a
Necessitant (3ns).  The Sign itself is a qualisign/mark, sinsign/token, or
legisign/type.  The Sign's relation to its Object is what makes it an icon,
index, or symbol.  The Sign's relation to its Interpretant is what makes it
a rheme, dicent, or argument.

I find all of this to be fully consistent with a straightforward reading of
Peirce's extensive writings on semeiosis.  At the risk of being labeled
once more as "literal-bound," a quick search of the Collected Papers turns
up zero instances of "habit(s) of formation," "morphological generation,"
"triadic process," or "triadic function."  While these are evidently "key
factors" in *Taborskyan *semiosis, to me this suggests rather strongly
that *Peircean
*semeiosis has nothing to do with any of them.  On the other hand, "triadic
relation" appears 84 times.  What is unscientific or arrogant about simply
stating what the textual evidence clearly indicates to me?  You express
just as much certainty about the validity of your views as I do about mine.