There is much hubris.

Words are defective.

we ought to say that we are in thought, and not that thoughts are in us.

There are three kinds of signs.

The word *symbol* has so many meanings that it would be an injury to the
language to add a new one.

In the first figure; the middle is the subject of the major premise, and
predicate of the minor.  Therefore, the middle serves as either the subject
or the predicate in the first figure.

Ronna: If what philosophy is trying to do is figure out the nature of
things, or the way the world is, isn’t there something strange about saying
that the right route to that is interpreting a text and trying to figure
out what the author meant?

Seth: Could you make an analogy between the two-fold character of
interpretation-

Ronna: And that is?

Seth:  What does the author mean?  and Is it true?

Ronna: Okay.

Seth:  And philosophical thought?  The philosopher would make a mistake if
he thought that the question was, Is it true? Before he came to the first
issue, in regard to whatever he was talking about.  So this two-fold
character of interpretation-

Robert: Meaning and truth?

Seth:  Right, would also apply to the world.

Hth,
Jerry R

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 11:32 AM, Jon Alan Schmidt <jonalanschm...@gmail.com