> On Mar 30, 2017, at 6:30 AM, Edwina Taborsky <tabor...@primus.ca> wrote:
>
> In Peirce, we read about semiosis within protoplasm, within crystals, within
> the formation of matter [matter is effete Mind]. None of this deals with
> terminology but with the pragmatic function of semiosis - which Peirce sees,
> as far as I can understand, as the gradual evolution of Mind. Mind is NOT a
> synonym of the human mind or consciousness but of the natural world.

I think this gets at definition problems though. For instance often mind and
consciousness are used synonymously in discourse. As you note that’s not how
Peirce primarily uses it, although he’ll sometimes slip into other use when
speaking more casually.

In contemporary discourse even consciousness is ambiguous since it can
simultaneously mean a kind of first person qualia or awareness of phenomena or
even self-awareness as a kind of reflexive knowledge of a phenomena and that
one is also aware that one is aware of the phenomena as a self-awareness. The
former is pure firstness for Peirce I think although he’ll also sometimes call
it the inner aspect of the swerve or chance in a sign process. The other
aspects are indexical aspects of signs and simple complexity of signs.

But one quickly sees that keeping ones terminology is important.

While I’m more dubious towards his foundational ontologies it seems these
matters become crucial there. While we’ve discussed those ontologies a lot of
late, it’s mainly been due to other issues such as Peirce’s sense of truth.

> If one focuses only on words and terms, then, it is just as easy, indeed
> easier,  to use the semiotics of such as Saussure or Morris ..for these are
> all about 'this' means 'that' - and one can get readily into the seeming joy
> of 'hidden meanings'. But Peirce doesn't deal with this; his semiotics is an
> active, adaptive and evolving  process of generation of Mind-into-Matter - a
> much more difficult analysis.

I’d actually disagree quite a lot with that. I think both miss key aspects of
meaning - particularly Saussure whose structuralism is quite static whereas
Peirce’s thirdness and definition of a sign anticipates much of
post-structuralism. (Indeed one could argue that indirectly a lot of
post-structuralism arises out of Peirce)