 This message is virus free, protected by Primus - Canada's
 largest alternative telecommunications provider.
 http://www.primus.ca
 On Thu 30/03/17 11:59 AM , John Collier colli...@ukzn.ac.za sent:
        I am not very keen on multiple universes, though I readily admit
different metaphysical categories. But I think any deep difference
is just talk.
        From: Jon Alan Schmidt [mailto:jonalanschm...@gmail.com]
 Sent: Thursday, 30 March 2017 3:33 PM
 To: John Collier
 Cc: peirce-l@list.iupui.edu
 Subject: Re: Re: Re: [PEIRCE-L] semantic problem with the term
        John C., List:
        [John Collier] Peirce uses “sign” in both ways, which can be
confusing.
        Perhaps I missed them, but I am not aware of any passages where
Peirce used "sign" to mean a "triad" or a "triadic function" that
consists of the representamen, object, and interpretant.  If there
are such passages, I would be grateful for the citations so that I
can take a look at them.  Would you at least agree that Peirce
predominantly used "sign" in the way that I am advocating?
        [John Collier] I think the following undated passage in which Peirce
refers to the sign as the most characteristic form of thirdness is
hard to understand  if the sign meant here is the representamen
alone. It is essential to being a sign that it have an object and
interpretant. I take this as meaning that it is part of their nature
to be triadic. I agree that Peirce mostly used “sign” to mean the
iconic representamen.  This issue was discussed on the list some time
ago.
        Firstness, Secondness, Thirdness, and the Reducibility of Fourthness
[R] | MS  [R] 914:5-6

         The most characteristic form of thirdness is that of a sign; and it
is shown that every cognition is of the nature of a sign. Every sign
has an object,  which may be regarded either as it is immediately
represented in the sign to be [or] as it is in it own firstness. It
is equally essential to the function of a sign that it should
determine an Interpretant, or second  correlate related to the object
of the sign as the sign is itself related to that object; and this
interpretant may be regarded as the sign represents it to be, as it
is in its pure secondness to the object, and as it is in its own
firstness. Upon these  considerations are founded six trichotomic
divisions of signs…
        John Collier

        Emeritus Professor and Senior Research Associate

        Philosophy, University of KwaZulu-Natal

        http://web.ncf.ca/collier [1]

Links:
------