Clark, list - I think I wasn't clear in my post below. What I meant
to say is that Peirce himself did not use singular terms that meant
'only this' in his work. As John Collier points out - he used 'sign'
and 'representamen';  his use of the three categories were filled
with expansive synonyms for their meanings; his notion of the triad
was not focused around the representamen as controlling agent but was
focused around the contribution to meaning via the interaction of all
three 'nodes'. My concern with terminology is that much of the focus
on this list is to insist that a term, as used by Peirce, has not
merely only one singular meaning but indeed, has only one singular
action. That rejects the adaptive capacity of Peircean semiosis.

 This message is virus free, protected by Primus - Canada's
 largest alternative telecommunications provider.
 http://www.primus.ca
 On Thu 30/03/17 10:40 AM , Edwina Taborsky tabor...@primus.ca sent:
 Clark- again, thanks for your comments.

        The fact that Mind and consciousness are often used synonymously is
not - as you point out - part of the Peircean analysis. But to inform
readers that you are using Peircean terms - and not 'general audience
terms - is not the same as the focus on this list on and only on
Peircean terms and their singular use in HIS work.

        Of course Saussure is static! That's what makes his semiology so
easy to use - and the 'hidden meanings' unveiled by the researcher
are assumed to be static as well...and hidden due to some
psychological trauma of the author/artist or whatever.

 http://www.primus.ca [1]
 On Thu 30/03/17 10:12 AM , Clark Goble cl...@lextek.com sent: