Edwina, Clark, List:

One thing that I am curious about is whether it is feasible to follow
Peirce's lead in expanding the scope of semeiosis from human cognition to
the physico-chemical and biological realms, *without *maintaining Peirce's
distinctive metaphysics of objective idealism--"the physical law as derived
and special, the psychical law alone as primordial," such that "matter is
effete mind, inveterate habits becoming physical laws" (CP 6.24-25).  In
other words, I am not sure that we can fruitfully separate his scientific
thought and its contemporary implications from his philosophical thought
and its contemporary implications, or intelligibly discuss the former
without taking the latter into account.