Hi John, List,

On 10/20/2017 7:15 AM, John F Sowa wrote:
Since my name was mentioned in the list, I'll say why I believe that
methods of reasoning -- induction, abduction, and deduction -- are
kinds of arguments (third in the triad predicate-proposition-argument).
And that all arguments are segments in a never-ending cycle of
inquiry.  Therefore, all of that is Thirdness.

John, your name was mentioned because you made this statement:

Mike
Might you or others on the list identify what "some" of those
possibilities may be (with citations)

Peirce rarely gave enough examples to illustrate and clarify his
ideas.  But I would cite any engineering project or plan for the
future.  If you translate those plans to logic or a computer
program, the variables represent "real possibilities".

But as mice and engineers know, the best laid plans "gang aft agley".
Many possibilities that seemed real in the planning stage never get
built, get modified, or get rejected as the project develops.

I was (and am) questioning whether plans or computer variables are in any way Firstness; I maintain they are instantiations, even if they deal with an unrealized future, and are therefore Secondness. My original question to Gary (and, now, you) about "some [Firstness] possibilities" which we should be "most concerned to insist upon" remains.

The points you then raise only mostly affirm what I was also saying, that the universal categories are a process. Calling them arguments is, I agree, a more clarifying definition.

However, that being said, I also think that framing the process question into "starting" and "stopping" points miscontrues my process points; I made no such suggestion. The proper metaphor, which you also state, is the cycle.

But, under a cyclic understanding, I do not see everything as being Thirdness. I agree and grant that arguments are in Thirdness -- Peirce makes this point often in discussing his categories applied to logic -- but the components of what might go into those arguments are drawn from all three categories, which I think is what Gary was attempting to point out.

Mike

Meanwhile, I believe that most Peirce scholars see abduction as a 1ns
when it is considered within a tripartite inquiry (what Peirce calls
"a complete inquiry") such that:

a) 1st, 1ns, abduction (a hypothesis is formed)

b) 2nd, 3ns, deduction (there is an analysis of the implications
of the hypothesis were it valid in the interest of constructing
tests of it

c) 3rd, 2ns, induction (the actual experiment testing of the
hypothesis occurs)

Those numbers go beyond what Peirce said.  And they suggests that
there is a starting point and a stopping point.  Peirce emphasized
perception and purposive action.   If you start with perception
and end with action, the order of reasoning would be observation,
induction, abduction, deduction and action.

But every action is a test of some prediction (deduction),
which leads to new observations, which lead to a new inductions,
which leads to an abduction, which revises previous theories
(hypotheses), which leads to new deductions (prediction), which
leads to new action (testing), which leads to new observations...

The whole cycle is an endless inquiry, which may be considered
a sequence of arguments -- all of which are a kind of Thirdness.
Furthermore, there may be cycles within cycles, as the inquiry
goes into side issues, corollaries, revisions, debates...

As an illustration of the cycle, see the attached soup1.jpg.

Michael K. Bergman
Cognonto Corporation
319.621.5225
skype:michaelkbergman