Hi Jon, Edwina, List,

See below:

On 10/20/2017 1:54 PM, Jon Alan Schmidt wrote:
Mike, List:

I took Gary F.'s point to be that no phenomenon can be properly categorized as /only /Firstness, /only /Secondness, or /only /Thirdness.

    CSP:  What I term /phaneroscopy /is that study which, supported by
    the direct observation of phanerons and generalizing its
    observations, signalizes several very broad classes of phanerons;
    describes the features of each; shows that although they are so
    inextricably mixed together that no one can be isolated, yet it is
    manifest that their characters are quite disparate; then proves,
    beyond question, that a certain very short list comprises all of
    these broadest categories of phanerons there are; and finally
    proceeds to the laborious and difficult task of enumerating the
    principal subdivisions of those categories. (CP 1.286, c. 1904;
    italics in original)

For there to be reality, there must be real things (objects), and, by contrast, everything else. What I objected to was the facile transition from idea to blueprint to whatever, with the object changing in each change of reference. In the context of the blueprint object, no matter what the phenomenology, nor the sign interpretation (see below), the referenced object, the ground, is the blueprint, completely and perfectly understood.

However, I wonder if Mike's point is manifest in Peirce's later discussions of the three Universes of Experience.

    CSP:  Of the three Universes of Experience familiar to us all, the
    first comprises all mere Ideas, those airy nothings to which the
    mind of poet, pure mathematician, or another /might /give local
    habitation and a name within that mind. Their very airy-nothingness,
    the fact that their Being consists in mere capability of getting
    thought, not in anybody's Actually thinking them, saves their
    Reality. The second Universe is that of the Brute Actuality of
    things and facts. I am confident that their Being consists in
    reactions against Brute forces, notwithstanding objections
    redoubtable until they are closely and fairly examined. The third
    Universe comprises everything whose being consists in active power
    to establish connections between different objects, especially
    between objects in different Universes. Such is everything which is
    essentially a Sign -- not the mere body of the Sign, which is not
    essentially such, but, so to speak, the Sign's Soul, which has its
    Being in its power of serving as intermediary between its Object and
    a Mind. Such, too, is a living consciousness, and such the life, the
    power of growth, of a plant. Such is a living constitution -- a
    daily newspaper, a great fortune, a social "movement." (CP 6.455,
    1908; italics in original)

Only the /Idea/ of the building belongs to the first Universe as a real possibility.  It is /represented /(in different ways) by both the blueprint and the constructed building itself, which themselves belong to the second Universe of Brute Actuality.  The relations among these different objects that facilitate such mediation belong to the third Universe of Signs.  In multiple drafts of "A Neglected Argument for the Reality of God," Peirce also directly associated the second Universe with Matter and the third Universe with Mind.

EXACTLY SO. In fact, this same kind of relationship can be seen in dozens of examples (actually, more than 60) of the universal categories drawn from Peirce's writings [1].

In Edwina's comments on this thread, she told me to go study the Signs. The problem is, semiosis, logic and many other Peircean concepts are subsumed under the universal categories, the most succinct expression of Peirce's architectonic, not the other way around. We need to talk about signs when our discourse is representation, we need to talk about the universal categories when our discourse is Peirce's metaphysics and the "true" nature of Objects. That includes the concepts of real, existence, identity and truth.

So, Edwina, in this case, I am not looking at "blueprint" through the lens of representation, I am looking at "blueprint" in terms of the nature of the object. When it comes to categorize the reality of our real world, I think this is the proper basis.

Thanks, Mike

[1] http://www.mkbergman.com/2077/how-i-interpret-c-s-peirce/; the table at bottom is an updated and corrected version of an earlier one. Many on this list, including Edwina and Gary, helped point out those earlier errors, and there likely still remain some. ;)

www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt <http://www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt> - twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt <http://twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt>