Mike, List:

I took Gary F.'s point to be that no phenomenon can be properly categorized
as *only *Firstness, *only *Secondness, or *only *Thirdness.

CSP:  What I term *phaneroscopy *is that study which, supported by the
direct observation of phanerons and generalizing its observations,
signalizes several very broad classes of phanerons; describes the features
of each; shows that although they are so inextricably mixed together that
no one can be isolated, yet it is manifest that their characters are quite
disparate; then proves, beyond question, that a certain very short list
comprises all of these broadest categories of phanerons there are; and
finally proceeds to the laborious and difficult task of enumerating the
principal subdivisions of those categories. (CP 1.286, c. 1904; italics in
original)

However, I wonder if Mike's point is manifest in Peirce's later discussions
of the three Universes of Experience.

CSP:  Of the three Universes of Experience familiar to us all, the first
comprises all mere Ideas, those airy nothings to which the mind of poet,
pure mathematician, or another *might *give local habitation and a name
within that mind. Their very airy-nothingness, the fact that their Being
consists in mere capability of getting thought, not in anybody's Actually
thinking them, saves their Reality. The second Universe is that of the
Brute Actuality of things and facts. I am confident that their Being
consists in reactions against Brute forces, notwithstanding objections
redoubtable until they are closely and fairly examined. The third Universe
comprises everything whose being consists in active power to establish
connections between different objects, especially between objects in
different Universes. Such is everything which is essentially a Sign -- not
the mere body of the Sign, which is not essentially such, but, so to speak,
the Sign's Soul, which has its Being in its power of serving as
intermediary between its Object and a Mind. Such, too, is a living
consciousness, and such the life, the power of growth, of a plant. Such is
a living constitution -- a daily newspaper, a great fortune, a social
"movement." (CP 6.455, 1908; italics in original)

Only the *Idea* of the building belongs to the first Universe as a real
possibility.  It is *represented *(in different ways) by both the blueprint
and the constructed building itself, which themselves belong to the second
Universe of Brute Actuality.  The relations among these different objects
that facilitate such mediation belong to the third Universe of Signs.  In
multiple drafts of "A Neglected Argument for the Reality of God," Peirce
also directly associated the second Universe with Matter and the third
Universe with Mind.