Edwina and Jon,

ET
And again - all we are doing is quoting the same passages to each
other, and interpreting them in different ways. I suggest we allow
each other the 'grace' to do this - rather than insisting that one
or the other is 'right' - and the other is a 'misinterpretation.

Yes.  The practice of quoting clouds of words out of context
is useless for resolving any questions about what Peirce meant.
To avoid endless debates, I suggest a methodeutic for analyzing
the quotations and determining their relevance.

For Peirce, logic and mathematics are a solid and dependable
foundation.  If there is any dispute of any kind, translate the
interpretation to EGs as a check.  If the dispute is about EGs,
translate the EGs to Peirce's algebraic notation and/or the
equivalent in any of the more recent notations.

Finally, if the dispute is about Peirce's technical terminology,
translate the questions to ordinary language and use commonsense
examples that can be stated without any of his technical terms.
Analyze those examples without those terms.  Then determine how
and whether those terms could clarify the issues.

JAS
Whether or how any particular Instance of a Sign is actually
interpreted has no bearing whatsoever on what its Dynamic
object is.  Different Dynamic Interpretants can...

CSP:  In its relation to the Object, the Sign is passive; that is
to say, its correspondence to the Object is brought about by an
effect upon the Sign, the Object remaining unaffected.
(EP 2:544n22; 1906).

This is just one of eight short quotations, all taken out of contexts
in which Peirce never denies the obvious:  When you see a rock, the
thing you see is a sign that it exists where you happen to see it.
That is the commonsense example.

For the context, note the continuation of EP 2:544n22:  "That which
is communicated from the object through the Sign to the Interpretant
is the Form."  The sign you see is the form of a rock.  That form
defines a monadic predicate.  The direction of your gaze determines
an index of the rock's position.  That index, combined with the
predicate, determines the proposition "There is a rock at the
location and position where I'm looking."

Neither the predicate nor the index nor the proposition is the rock.
But parts of the statement of the proposition (in English or an EG)
refer to the rock and to its location.  That kind of knowledge is
the basis for everything we do in our daily lives -- and we get it
from the signs of things in our environment *and* the background
knowledge learned from previous experience.

Peirce's term for background knowledge is "collateral experience".
See below for CP 6.338, where he says that "the substance of thought"
consists of three "species of ingredients":  icons, indices, and
collateral observations or experience.

Every one of those three ingredients is mapped to some part or parts
of any proposition stated in English, EGs, or the algebra.  Whatever
does not appear in the proposition is irrelevant.  It conveys no
information directly or indirectly related to the object.

CSP (CP 8.177, EP 2:492; 1909) as quoted by JAS:
A Sign is a Cognizable that, on the one hand, is so determined
(i.e., specialized, bestimmt) by something other than itself,
called its Object...

That is another quotation taken out of context.  It's part of a
long letter to William James (NEM 3:836-866).  Immediately after