Edwina, List:

ET:  This is what is logically called a circular argument and thus, is
invalid.

No, a *circular argument* is one in which the conclusion is already *assumed
*in at least one of the premisses.  That is certainly not the case here.
Instead, the claim appears to be that my Semeiotic Argumentation sets
up an *infinite
regress*.  However, as I already explained, Peirce does not require the
external Object of every Sign to *be *a Sign, but rather that the Sign
can *only
*represent its Object *to the extent* that the latter is *of the nature* of
thought.

ET:  I suggest we allow each other the 'grace' to do this - rather than
insisting that one or the other is 'right' - and the other is a
'misinterpretation.

That is fine, as long as it goes both ways.  What we *cannot *do is
attribute something to Peirce that he *did not* actually say, or ignore
something that he *explicitly *said; and what we *should not* do is accuse
him of self-contradiction, unless it is completely unavoidable.