Edwina, List:

ET:  In addition, I disagree with Jon's basic axiom [and please don't
quibble about whether something is/is not 'an axiom'] that if the Universe
is a Sign, and a Sign requires an External Object, THEN, the External
Object [external to the Universe], is God.

Sorry, I definitely have to quibble about calling *this *an axiom; it is
not, it is a deductive Argumentation--a straightforward syllogism, in
fact--and the *necessary *conclusion is missing.

   - Major premiss:  Every Sign is determined by an Object other than
   itself.
   - Minor premiss:  The entire Universe is a Sign.
   - Conclusion:  The entire Universe is determined by an Object other than
   itself.

I do then add, "And this we call God," citing various passages where I
interpret Peirce as endorsing such an identification.  Are there other
candidates for the (necessarily external) Object of the Universe?

ET:  I simply don't see that Peirce has anywhere written that the Universe
has boundaries; i.e., that it exists as itself as differentiated from the
Non-Universe.

Peirce *explicitly *affirmed both premisses above, which entails--unless we
are going to accuse him of logical inconsistency--that he also affirmed the
conclusion, and thus held that there is an Object that is external to,
independent of, and unaffected by the Universe.  He also *explicitly *stated
that God is "Really creator of all three Universes of Experience," and is "
*not *immanent in the Universes of Matter, Mind, and Ideas, but the Sole
Creator of every content of them without exception."

ET:  In addition, as I also quoted, to Peirce, even the
external-to-the-Sign Object is itself a Sign, and thus, it belongs IN the
Semiosic Universe.

Here is the actual quote from Peirce.

CSP:  Every sign stands for an object independent of itself; but it can
only be a sign of that object in so far as that object is itself of the
nature of a sign or thought. For the sign does not affect the object but is
affected by it; so that the object must be able to convey thought, that is,
must be of the nature of thought or of a sign. (CP 1.538; 1903)

>From the first clause, it is incontrovertible that if the entire Universe
as a whole is a Sign, then it must stand for an Object independent of
itself.  Again, if not God, what would qualify?  *In order to deny that the
entire Universe as a whole is determined by an Object other than itself,
one must deny that the entire Universe as a whole is a Sign at all.*  But
Peirce *explicitly *affirmed that the Universe as a whole is a Sign, so
that means disagreeing with Peirce.

>From the rest of the quote, it is equally incontrovertible that the
Universe can only be a Sign of its external Object *in so far as* that
external Object is *of the nature* of a Sign or thought, such that the
external Object must be able to *convey *thought.  *Peirce did not say that
"the external-to-the-Sign Object is itself a Sign," but rather that the
Sign represents its external Object only to the extent that the Object is
of the nature of thought;* and he *explicitly *affirmed elsewhere that God
is of that nature, at least "loosely" and analogically ("by similitudes").

ET:  I agree with John Sowa's point, that the Universe is quite capable of
self-generation of Signs - and does not require an external-to-itself
Object to function as a semiosic Sign.

On the contrary, according to Peirce, *every *Sign requires an
external-to-itself Object; so if the Universe has no such Object, then
it *cannot
*be a Sign; but according to Peirce, it *is *a Sign, so it *must *have an
external-to-itself Object.