Edwina, List:

Please see the response that I just posted, which briefly addresses (again)
the claim that the external Object of a Sign must *be *a Sign, which is
*not *what Peirce actually wrote in the quoted passage.

ET:  That's not a valid argument since the key premiss; i.e., the nature of
the Universe as 'having boundaries' is taken-for-granted - and I consider
that such a view cannot be 'taken-for-granted'. It's a 'begging the
question' fallacy of logic.

No, it would only be *begging the question* if either or both of the
premisses included the *assumption *that there is something outside the
Universe.  But that is not the case; it is only from the *conclusion* that
we can draw the *further inference* that there is something outside the
Universe.  Consider an isomorphic syllogism that should not be
controversial.

   - Major premiss:  Every Sign is determined by an Object other than
   itself.
   - Minor premiss:  The word "man" is a Sign.
   - Conclusion:  The word "man" is determined by an Object other than
   itself.
   - Further inference:  There must be something outside the word "man"
   that determines it.

Perhaps restating the major premiss will be helpful--there is something
outside every Sign that determines it.  This still does not entail that
there is something outside *the Universe*; we can only conclude that once
we add the minor premiss--the Universe is a Sign.  To deny that there is
something outside the Universe, one must either deny that there is
something outside every Sign, or deny that the Universe is a Sign--either
of which would be a clear and obvious departure from Peirce's explicitly
stated views.